Here are some of our favorite travel tips
We have traveled some and have chatted with many about their most important travel tips. Whether your trip is short and sweet, a long get-aways, for business or pleasure there are some things you need to know to make sure it is a complete success. Here are some of our favorites!
- #1 on the list is to be FLEXIBLE! Travel, especially international travel, has lots of moving pieces, and sometimes outside circumstances get in the way and things don’t fit as smoothly as planned. Being willing and flexible to adjust a little will make the travel experience much more enjoyable.
- Use a Travel Professional, such as the staff at Special Moments Travel. They will take the stress out of travel!
- (similar to #1) Be PATIENT! If things go crazy, screaming at the airline ticket agent will not get you on the next flight faster – they are more stressed than you. Be nice, be patient, smile, and they are much more willing to work with you.
- Put half of your clothes in your travel companion’s bag and half of their clothes in yours. Just in case a bag doesn’t get to your destination in a timely fashion, you won’t be without!
- Travel insurance is invaluable! We’ve seen a real air-to-sea rescue on one of our cruises. It was very exciting and just like it is in the movies! The cost is also passed along to the passenger, not the cruise line, to the tune of thousands of dollars. Trip insurance is pennies compared to that!
- Line your suitcase with plastic trash bags, especially when traveling in rainy areas. If your suitcase is stranded on a wet tarmac, then your clothes are more likely to stay dry!
- Carry an empty water bottle to be filled once through Security
- Always travel with a flashlight! You never know when it might come in handy!
- Pack some sort of food in your carry-on bags such as nuts and trail mix. Your next meal could be many, many hours away.
- Hand sanitizer, Kleenex packets, and moist towelette packs are wonderful!
- Ziplock bags of different sizes always come in handy.
- Drink lots of water (bottled water, if in third-world nations)
- Color-coordinate your wardrobe so you can mix and match outfits and not have to pack too many items
- Ladies, a lightweight little black dress is always perfect. It can be dressed up or down for the occasion.
- Pack earplugs and inflatable neck cushions for easier air travel
- Wear comfortable clothes when traveling
- Put your name and the name and address of the resort or cruise ship where you are headed in your suitcase.
- Flip Flops and Socks to wear around in your room are always a good idea.
- Pack your electronic items and their chargers in your carry-on bags
- Packing Cubes are great tools to use for packing efficiently.
- When traveling, must-have items include:
- Passports/Photo ID
- Travel Documents
- Glasses/Contacts (and contact cases!)
- Camera with charger/batteries/memory chips
- Imodium AD (just in case)
- Prescriptions in prescription bottle with note from doctor written for whom, what type of medicine, and the reason
- In Barbados, do not wear camouflage of any sort, otherwise the clothing will be confiscated and the person charged accordingly.
- In Singapore, don’t jaywalk or spit on the street. You can be arrested for either offense.
- If traveling in foreign countries, check their tipping policies. Believe it or not, in some cultures, tipping is considered rude behavior!
- Last, but not least, HAVE FUN and ENJOY YOUR TRIP!!
“Bette helped me plan my brother’s bachelor party for a group of 12 guys to Cancun, Mexico. She was incredibly knowledgeable and helpful throughout the whole process. She was attentive and quick to respond to any inquiry with care and excitement. (There were more than a few inquiries). Travel documents were delivered complete and as promised. She even provided a travel checklist of things to consider for the trip. The whole trip went without a problem as everything had been setup perfectly. We had an incredible trip and Bette made planning and getting there smoother than we could have accomplished on our own. I will use Bette for future travel plans and would highly recommend her services.” – .
I have always been an avid traveler. I would decide where I wanted to visit, then spend hours on the phone with an airline representative making reservations …often having to settle for long lay-overs and nerve wracking connecting flights.If traveling outside of the country, I would struggle with a language barrier trying to convey dates and exactly what type of hotel accommodations I wanted. Rarely was it what I expected .
Bette Johnson was recommended to me several years ago by a friend.We spent a short time on the phone and I explained my wants and expectations for the trip. In record time, she called me back and had the entire package together. No hassle….and better yet, no hitches !
The true test was in October,2011 when my fiancé and I called her to plan a two week honeymoon in Europe. She listened to our tentative itinerary …took notes…made suggestions…and promised to get back with us soon. The following day, Bette was calling us with all our flight information, hotel reservations, transportation and optional tours…..and came in below what we expected to spend ! Our travel documents were hand delivered along with an appropriate gift associated with our plans.
Our trip exceeded all expectations. Everything went accordingly with ” Bette’s extra touch” as the icing on the cake !
We have continued with Bette because of the care she dedicates to her clients, the service she provides and the follow-up to ensure another satisfied customer. In a word, she is to be TRUSTED.
Why exhaust yourself before a trip, whether it be for business or pleasure, when you have Bette Johnson’s expertise a phone call away ? It wouldn’t make sense.
- Tom and Candace Dillard